Thursday, May 8, 2008

Aloha -- Part 3 -- Pearl Harbor















We spent a day at Pearl Harbor touring the USS Arizona Memorial, the USS Bowfin (a World War II submarine), the USS Missouri (the battleship where the World War II surrender documents were signed) and the Pacific Aviation Museum. It was a day full of history.

Visiting the USS Arizona memorial is a touching, solemn experience.

It took most of the day to tour all these things. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Oahu. If you don't want to spend the whole day, you should at least visit the Arizona Memorial. They show you a movie before you get on the boat to go out to the memorial. In this movie, they interview WWII veterans, and it was so touching to hear their recollections of what happened on December 7, 1941. One of them tearfully noted that children today are not being taught much about the Pearl Harbor attack. Sadly, I have found this to be true. But it is something we all need to remember and our children should be taught, as well.

5 comments:

pat said...

Margaret--
Oh, I love love your trip photos! Isn't the temple there gorgeous? Love the grounds. Your water shots, the lighthouse, Pearl Harbor...sigh.... We've stayed up on the North Shore a couple of times and really like it; a completely different world than Honolulu. I think you did well with your flowers; with the really bright sun and the breeze there macros are really tricky; plus the dang colors are SOOOO vivid! More photos, please.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

I like that your sharing your vacation photos with us. I remeber when we went to the USS Arizona I couldn't help but feel so sad. I think our children need to study real history a little deeper to know what alot of people have given up for our freedom and our way of life today.

lcp said...

What a fabulous visit! I think it is wonderful you were able to go there and record all of it for us to see.

Bobbi said...

Meg I just love that flag shot! So pretty and the bit of flare is perfect. I really love all these great pics from your trip.

Becky said...

Thanks for giving us a nice view of the whole place. I especially love the DOF and light in the dials shot.